Tuesday, June 28, 2011

WHEN THERE'S NO MORE ROOM IN MACON, GA, THEY WILL SEND THE DEAD TO DETROIT, MI

As someone who likes photographing all things abandoned, Detroit was to be my mecca. In the end, after finally arriving, I ended up with a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. There was an annual event that included fireworks. All the hotels were booked, and downtown Detroit was overwhelmed by the largest gathering of urban thugs that I believe the world has ever amassed in one place. No matter. Had no plans to stay. This is a dying city. There is zero heart. It is beyond repair. I love running into an abandoned warehouse or a closed-down school but this city, once vibrant, was now beyond reproach. There is no fixing it. You have a population where half has no desire to work and the other half can't find any even if they did. I hated this city. I was ashamed that this much destruction could occur. That we allowed all of these beautiful structures, these works of art, to be left to rot. We see these commercials about how Detroit is back. paid for by car companies who have their headquarters in the region. The truth of it all is this: American car companies may be back, but the factories lie empty. And this city, which once held great promise, is nothing more than a senior citizen who is slowly dying of cancer. It was a shame to watch, and I left just as soon as I arrived.  Here are the few photos I took and I took them while I drove. This was no reason to waste time parking.






No comments:

Post a Comment